Sunday 1 June 2008

Experiments

Slightly shorter version of what I just posted on mine

Typography Experiments

I've left out most of the design speak but thought Dave w might like a look at this bit

///I'm not happy using 'Birth of a Hero' (Not Death of a Hero as I typed yesterday) as the grunge elements are repeated and look cheap so I have been experimenting developing my own.

The 2 fonts I have used are Futura (the condensed one) and Alte Haas Grotesk (the more rounded one). I really like Alte Haas because it's letterforms are big and chunky but the weight keeps it quite light and nice to read, Futura is better for copy rather than 'logo' type.

Screengrab from Illustrator artboard























Alte Haas Grotesk used on header







I think with a bit of tweaking (perhaps a bit too much grit around the letters) this typeface could be developed into an identity for any future design. I think the header may need a bit of a darker background where the type overlaps as the contrast isn't great with the chunkier letters.

Titles/Intro

I had the idea of the stylised lines animating onto the screen with some simple type smoothly 'typing' on, perhaps with some flickery elements to hint at the tense narrative to follow.
I did some quick sketches in photoshop to get an idea of what layouts and type might work with this idea.

I think a contrast
to the main feature would be more appropriate than a crazy action packed title sequence, like I mentioned earlier this will build anticipation which is important in animation (one of Disney's rules), a recent example of the graphics greatly contrasting with the style of the film are the end credits of iron man. (click to watch a clip)

Quick initial ideas
















I think the second image in is quite interesting (I used the grungy futura whilst experimenting in Illustrator), and think the plain white type on black probably works the best. Simplicity usually is the key to effective design, so I think I'll stick with the black, white and maybe just a darker grey 'fluid' element.


Oh I also uploaded my Shakespeare typography animation to youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8I6P9mLEc

No comments:

Post a Comment